Monday, June 30, 2008

If I Make My Bed in Hell

I found this picture on the page of a facebook friend (thanks, Jake!). When I came across it, I was preparing a message to preach in my church and it fit perfectly. In fact (as I mentioned on Sunday) I would never have thought a picture could capture the truth of 2Corinthians 5:21, but this one did.

That verse says that Jesus was made sin for us so that we can be made the righteousness of God in Him. One writer I consulted called it the most profound verse in the Bible.

God crossed many dimensions to become man and open to us the way of life.

  • From infinity he came to an obscure Roman province on a dark planet in a nameless solar system in one of uncounted billions and billions of galaxies.
  • From somewhere outside time he made himself subject to the oppression of the aging process.
  • From perfect love he came to scorn and contempt.
  • From eternal life he came to death.
  • And from perfect holiness he became sin. For us, his enemies.
Sin gives rise to many griefs: shame, ugliness, rejection, isolation, despair ... the list goes on. Jesus has felt every one of them. There is no place you can go where Jesus has not been. As David wrote in the Psalms, "Even if I make my bed in hell ... you are there!"

Every single individual on this planet is loved and valued by Jesus Christ. Every person is born for joy, and because of Jesus' unspeakable payment, joy is just one step away.

1 comment:

Stephen Sawyer said...

As the artist I appreciate you comment and hope that you might read my comments about my painting found on my website www.art4god.com